PrEPnu frequently receives questions regarding the price of PrEP in Dutch pharmacies, since this price varies greatly between the different pharmacies. In October 2018, we therefore inquired about the price of PrEP in a number of pharmacies in the 6 largest cities of the Netherlands. A number of these pharmacies responded to our request and provided us with the prices listed below. The list has since been continuously updated.
Last update: January 29, 2024
PLEASE READ THESE REMARKS FIRST TO AVOID MISUNDERSTANDINGS!
- All prices are for a pack of 30 tablets (a month’s worth when using PrEP daily).
- The listed prices are indications of prices, not guarantees. Prices of drugs, including PrEP, vary greatly from month to month, making these prices quickly outdated. We have however requested pharmacies to inform us about substantial increases and decreases of their prices.
- The listed prices are those of the cheapest generic PrEP available at the local pharmacy. Frequently however pharmaceutical companies have difficulties supplying pharmacies with specific drugs, forcing pharmacies to provide higher priced PrEP to their clients. If this is the case inquire with other pharmacies or the with the pharmacist about alternatives.
- Dutch pharmacies sell various brands of generic PrEP (Generic Name: Tenofovir disoproxil/Emtricitabine). They all work equally well. The only difference may be the packaging; some brands offer a choice between a bottle or blister pack.
- PrEP is only provided with a prescription. Request a prescription from your general practitioner, your local Public Health Service (GGD), or the nearest HIV treatment center. If you encounter any difficulties, contact PrEPnu for assistance.